Saturday, November 24, 2007

Calling in Church


In July of this year I was called to be the new Young Men's President in our ward. I still remember the influence my previous YM leaders had on my life. Hopefully I can be the same kind of example and influence for these boys.

Since being called we have had some great experiences in the quorum. One of the most memorable was a trip we took to the Peppersauce (Oracle) Caves. We got there Friday night and camped. When we went the next morning we took all the boys into the cave (there was about 30). Exploring the caves for a couple of hours we eventually all ended up in the back corner of the caves into a room that contained a book to sign our names to. Once there we held a testimony meeting. They way we did it was each boy would turn on their light when they shared their testimony. Many of them would come up with analogies I had not even thought of. For instance they would talk about how the light of others helped them along their path - and that is like choosing good friends. Others talked about how the flashlight was like the light of Christ in a dark world. It was just real neat to hear their words. Once finished there - we turned off all our lights and sang "Called to Serve" and as we sang each of us turned on our lights one by one, until this once pitch black room was completely filled with light. It was a very touching experience. I was most happy when we all made it out - and not one person had an injury to report. We all made it back safely with an experience we will always remember.

Since that day we have had many other great experiences with the boys. But something that I have really taken notice of is the feelings, impressions, ideas, and inspiration that I have received while in the calling. I know that they always say when you receive a calling, you are than entitled to receive inspiration for that calling - but I have never really experienced it - until now. It seems like almost every day I think about my calling - and receive inspiration of some kind to possibly make the program better for the boys. It really is a neat feeling to have.

I have also been super blessed to work with our new bishop - Bishop Larry Gordon. In our short time working together, he has become a great friend. I really love him dearly for everything he does for our ward - and the way he expresses his love and care for my family. He is a great man.

I promise to post more experiences from working with the Young Men as I begin posting more often in this blog. Love my calling!

1 comment:

Alisa Larson said...

Hey Guys, I finally got with it and got a blog, so check it out. Congrats on the new calling Trev! Shirley - COME SEE ME, I MISS YOU!! Love you guys!
Alisa