Thursday, July 31, 2008

Sudden Vacation!


On Thrs. July 17 Shirley and I began discussing the plans of taking the girls on a trip to Utah so I could do some work with my business partners there, as well as stop in for a visit at a Dayley Family Reunion. With just one day of planning, we packed everything up and left the next day for what soon became a 2 week adventure with more than 2300 miles of driving. Over the next couple of posts I will include photos with captions from our adventures.

First Stop: Camping in Southern Utah

When we left Friday morning, we decided to make the drive up to Southern Utah, where we found a great place to camp just past Navajo Lake, in the Grand Escalante National Forest. It was a beautiful place, but in the morning after making some breakfast burritos we were attacked by a swarm of horse flies. Rather then fight them, we fed them. Since we realized they were attracted to the scrambled eggs, we decided to take some of the extras and throw it under a tree, which they all flew to... The girls loved the outdoors, and enjoyed the opportunity to help me put up the tent. I too thought it was a great moment to share together.

One of the best stories from our camping adventures was my moment of shame when taking the girls fishing. Well I have not been fishing in over 20 years, and last time I went, we had push button casters. This time I purchased a open face reel, not realizing there was a different action to make it work. The girls were so excited to finally go fishing and in fact have been jumping off the walls talking about it. When we finally get out to fish, and spending 30 or so minutes preparing the reel ect, I go out to cast it, and could not get it to go more then 5-10 feet in front of us. After several tries and tangled line in the spool, we finally gave up and decided that we would learn from someone that actually knows how to do it. Here are some additional photos from our camping.






Katelyn playing among the trees.












Shirley and Elin out looking for sticks to make Smores!











Smores and Camping... Now that's Fun!

1 comment:

Alisa Larson said...

Hooray, a post! Since I never see you guys in person anymore, at least I got to see some current photos! I'm glad that someone people are blessed with the camping gene, because it must have missed my DNA! Glad you guys had fun and I'm glad your BACK! Tell Shirley I love her and to come see me soon!